Monday, February 28, 2005

Eurocracy

William Rees- Mogg writes in today's Times on the EU constitution - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1052-1503692,00.html

I will nail my liberal colours to the mast. I am heartily in favour of the EU both as a trading organisation and as a forum for advancing humanitarian ideals by consultation. I am strongly opposed to the UK being subsumed into a European super state because of the consequent further distancing of political decision from the individual and the inevitable, in my opinion, ossification of the decision making processes. I am strongly opposed to the UK adopting the euro because to do so would not only fail to recognise existing economic differences due to geography and culture, but would also inevitably lead to inflexibility in dealing with future geopolitical events. This probably makes me sound like a natural ally of the grumpy Rees-Mogg, but in almost every other respect I find his views anathema. It is a sad day when the only political party a liberal can support is the Tories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home