Friday, November 04, 2005

Archetypal Colonic Material of Taurine Provenance

I confess it; I am obscenely jealous of Butterflies and Wheels
The comments and articles are so..... good. The dissection of absurdity is so clinical. I often think of commenting on some current affair only to find that Benson and Stangroom have already done it.
Well, this is one they may have missed. Not current affairs, I will own, but a piece of prose so mind-numbingly self-conscious that the sense of the piece is quite obscured. A taste, for those unwilling to scramble their synapses...
"From a retrospective vantage point, modern anthropocentric historicism can be seen as one of the first archeological projects of individual moral consciousness, realized, inter alia, by the reduction of personal accountability and freedom to the anonymous structures of historical conjunctures understood as manifestations of the absolute spirit; the collective consciousness of class, nation, civilization or epoch; evolutionary tendencies of matter; or monadic structures of culture. In that, romantic historiosophy stands in direct opposition to the critical character of Kantian transcendental rationalism."
What makes this so truly awful is that the critique of historicism is well deserved and the article is very well researched; so why spoil it with the high flown PoMo style?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

I'm with you on B&W - every time I think an article might be worth taking apart on Religion is Bullshit, I click onto B&W to find OB has done a far better job than I ever could. Plus it feels like 90% of my posts end with "(via Butterflies and Wheels)".

11:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home