Thursday, March 16, 2006

Great Questions

"Why" I hear you cry "oh, why have you neglected us so?" Well, my desultory reader, it is because we have been living the high, err.. slightly higher.. life in wintery Wales.
I climbed Cader Idris for the second time, in good company, and avoided my agoraphobic terror courtesy of 100% cloud cover on the summit. It was very much like this.. We stayed at a wonderful house called Ty Mawr and I hope to post our own bamboozled images of the weekend quite soon.
And on the subject of large, if not great questions, I made the error of mentally tuning in to this on the today programme. How Giles Fraser is permitted to lecture in Philosophy is a mystery to me. I suspect it is a mystery to him too; although he seems to be having some trouble in separating the supernatural and the natural. In fact, unless my understanding of my native tongue has been totally subverted, he seemed this morning to be suggesting that christianity (his interpretation) should insist that there is no distinction. God, in the form of Jesus, acted on Earth. There is a huge metaphysical problem here - or there is for Giles Fraser. How can the physical and the non-physical interact? What is the mechanism? What predictions can one make? If one permits divine intervention then none of us have free will, of any kind. Is the Rev Fraser a Calvinist?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home