Thursday, March 23, 2006

Existential Rollercoaster

This morning I heard an interview with Shabina Begum on the Today programme. I heard this smug young woman pontificate on how her 'religious' convictions ought to trump the social norm of a Luton school in which more than 50% of pupils were her co-religionists - holier than thou or what? Cherie Blair, the slack minded tree hugger, acted for this middle class tart - ad hominems I know but tell me why they are not thoroughly deserved by those prepared to suck at the public teat whilst stabbing all but their special interest clients in the heart?
Later in the day I read in the Times that the lords had overturned the appeal court ruling in favour of miss Begum. Wunderbar! Magnifique! How enlightened are their Lordships?

Later still, in the Guardian, I come across this..
"Lord Bingham said any sincere religious belief such as that held by Shabina must command respect, particularly when derived from an ancient and respected religion."

Why? Why should a sincere belief in Odin command respect? Must the believer be permitted to carry a pet Raven on their shoulder as part of the 'school uniform'? What is wrong with these people? Why can't they see the consequences of permitting 'sincerity' to trump objective evidence? My head hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home